From the Toy box




This blog is rated AAARRRGGGHHHH!!! for pirates, fuck you.







Monday, October 25, 2010

"The Girl With the Dragon Tatto" Review

~NO SPOILERS~

I just finished a wonderful novel by acclaimed Swedish author Stieg Larsson, "The Girl With the Dragon Tatto".

Let me preface my review by saying I LOVE crime and suspense thrillers, I can't get enough of them so this book was right up my dark little alley.

Larsson began his career as a photographer and science fiction writer. When he was 15 he witnessed the brutal gang rape of a young girl and it is believed that this event is what led to his strong views against sexual violence towards women....


Larsson Died in November 2004 in Stockholm Sweden at the age of 50.

The book revolves around 3 main characters Mikael Blomkvist (A journalist much like Larsson) Harriet Vanger (Who is more of a subject rather than a character) and Lisabeth Salander (A Pseudo Goth with amazing investigative skills).

Larsson manages to track the reader through multiple complicated sub-plots with ease and understanding without ever giving away the ending (Which takes you literally to the last sentence).

The book takes place primarily in Sweeden with a rich cast of supporting characters who all have personalities boarding somewhere in the extremes (My only hit agianst this book was that fact that there were very few middle ground people, but I guess that wouldn't do much for a good read would it).

One of the strongest themes although only mentioned sparingly throughout the book is as I stated above that of sexual violence. Larsson did a good job or portraying predators within the BDSM community (We all know who they are), however it seemed to me that apart from polyamoury Larsson cast everyone who participates in BDSM in a negative light, he provided no examples of good consensual fun.

On the hole (Giggity) I would give this book a full five coffins it is extremely well written and the first in a now three book series, I plan on reading the other two and will write reviews of them as soon as I finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment